Background: This was my first "professional" babysitting job, met them through sittercity. Parents are both surgeons. Live in a huge mansion with cameras surrounding the house, the house security system as well as doorbell is connected to parents phone. They can see whenever someone's rings doorbell or whenever doors open and close in home. Average pay in my city is $12 per hour for one child and $15 for 2 children. Parents said they were only willing to pay me $11 for their 2 children. I agreed. No contract or conversation about expectations was established at the beginning (HUGE mistake). As time went on, my responsibilities changed and slowly began to pile up and their trust issues began to show SEVERELY. I put SOME of the things that have been happening often and really bothering me below. It's gotten to the point where I feel like I'm not trusted whatsoever and feel very uneasy being in their home. I don't have much experience so what do you guys recommend I do in this situation? Should I speak with them? If so what do I say? Or should I just quit without explanation? I know it's long but I REALLY need help so please read and help me as much as you can! Thank you!!
Examples of recent incidents:
1. Children I babysit are 7 and 11 yrs old. 11 yr. old is the one who has the house key, knows the security system code, and garage code. Im not allowed to know any of this information so if I need to take the children to activities, I have to ask oldest child to disarm the security system and open/close garage door for me.
2. On one occasion I had to run outside to my car to get my school bag, I noticed I had left my laptop outside so I went back to get it and then came back in. Notification went to moms phone saying that one of the doors had been opened twice in less than 10 minutes and I got a call from her shortly after questioning me.
3. I was working a 12 hour shift for them and decided to order some pizza for myself. Once the pizza was delivered. I got a call shortly after from mom saying saying that she saw through the security camera that I was having food delivered to the house and that she wasn't ok with that. If I need to order food I have to go pick it up from store and take the kids with me.
4. They NOW expect me to unload/load dishwasher once I arrive. Sweep kitchen floor, wash surfaces, and take out trash after finished using the kitchen. And also wash all dishes from dinner the night before (kitchen always a mess when I arrive). Do kids laundry, check kids homework from the WEEK before or 2 weeks depending on how behind the kids are in school.
5. Let's say I'm scheduled to work 7am-7pm. If father gets home at 6:30 or 6:40 pm, he only pays me from 7-6pm. He rounds down.. but expects me to not leave until mess (from kids) is clean. Keep in mind I also commute an hour to and from their house... the least he can do is round up when paying me.
6. They come home late many times (normally 2 or3 hours late)without warning me first. They expect me to just stay until they arrive. Same goes for my work schedule. For example, she had scheduled me for a 6am-6pm last Friday. I called on Thursday to confirm and she switched everything up and said she needs me from 3:00pm- 10 pm instead... she did this without asking me about my availability or letting me know of time change ahead of time. This scenario has happened MANY times..
7. I'm never paid for gas... I always have to take kids to their activities/appointments every time I babysit... sometimes it's only a 20 minute drive other times it's a 45 minute drive.. either way I'm never paid for gas and on top of all that I'm getting paid way below average pay for 2 children...
Some of theses scenarios seem small but have happened SOOO many times that are now really bothering me and making a huge problem... what do you guys suggest I do?? Am I overreacting? Thank you again!!